Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

A friend served this hearty soup to our bunco group when I lived in San Antonio. I asked her to send me the recipe more than two years ago, and just now made it! I can't believe I waited so long. It's so easy, and even better the second day! Thanks, Meredith!!

The most time consuming part of the soup is baking the potatoes. I peeled and cubed them first, then baked them and let them cool. At 6 p.m., I started preparing the soup, and by 6:30, dinner was on the table. Can't get any easier than that.

2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
7 cups milk
4 potatoes, baked, peeled and cubed
4 green onions, diced
12 bacon slices, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
8 oz sour cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (we added a bit more to each bowl)

1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven. Stir in flour and whisk over medium heat until smooth.

2. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.

3. Add potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

4. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.

5. Add remaining ingredients, stirring until cheese is melted.

Makes 6 to 8 servings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment